Apnea Monitor Electrode Placement
You will be using semi-permanent electrodes to pick up your child's heartbeat and respirations. In order for the monitor to function properly, the electrodes must be properly placed. They should be halfway between the armpit and the nipple, at mid-nipple line.
- Before the electrode is put in place, the skin should be free of all body oil, dirt and moisture (do not use any lotion, powder or oil in this area).
- Connect the lead wires to the black electrodes. Insert the wires so that the metal tip of the wire is completely covered by the electrode. The black wire will be placed on the child's left side and white on the right side.
- Place the electrodes on the belt so that when the belt is put on the child, the electrodes will rest between the nipple and the armpits.
- Place the belt across the child's nipple line and secure the belt with the Velcro strip provided.
- The belt should fit snugly so that it moves with the child. You should be able to fit one finger between the belt and the child's skin.
- Cut the belt if necessary for a correct fit. Allow for growth.
- Connect the lead wires to the patient cable. Match the white lead wire from the right side to the white dot on the patient cable and the black wire from the left side to the black dot on the patient cable.
- Turn the monitor on after the belt is in place. Make sure the lights for breathing and heart rate are blinking. The red alarm lights will flash on, then fade out. The green lights for breathing and heart rate will blink with each breath and heart beat. The heartbeat light will blink much faster than the breathing light.