Good Sleep Is Essential
Sleep is a basic necessity of life, as important to our health and well-being as air, food and water. When we sleep well, we wake up feeling refreshed, alert and ready to face daily challenges. When we don’t, it can negatively influence our jobs, relationships, productivity, health and safety. Sleep is not merely a “time out” from our busy routines; it is essential for good health, mental and emotional functioning and safety.
The Benefits of Sleep
• It boosts your immune system
• It increases concentration
• It improves productivity
• It helps you to look and feel your best
The Secret to Good Sleep
With the following recommendations, keep in mind what is effective for you and stick with it. In general, try to build time into your schedule for eight hours of sleep , and follow this routine as regularly as possible.
• Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol in the evening.
• Exercise regularly at least three hours before bedtime.
• Don’t use your bed for watching television - your bed should be associated with sleep.
• If you have trouble sleeping at night, don’t nap during the day.
• Create your sleep environment to be as pleasant, comfortable, dark and quiet as possible.
• Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine that will allow you to unwind.
• If after 30 minutes you cannot fall asleep, get out of bed and involve yourself in a relaxing activity until you feel sleepy.