Oxygen is very safe to use when you create the proper environment. Oxygen will not explode or burn but it will increase the flammability of objects near the concentrated oxygen. It will also cause anything that is burning to burn hotter and faster. Be sure to have a functioning smoke detector and fire extinguisher in your home and remember to change the batteries regularly. A good method to remember is to change your smoke detector batteries every spring and fall with the time change.
By using the following safety rules, you will create a safe environment when you use your oxygen:
HEAT – Keep all oxygen equipment, including tubing and cannulas, at least 10 feet away from any source of heat. Common heat sources to be concerned with are: any open flames, stoves, space heaters, furnaces, radiators, candles, incense, windows exposed to direct sunlight, smoking pipes, cigars and cigarettes.
COOKING SAFEGUARDS – Do not cook with a gas or electric stove while using oxygen. It is best to use a microwave oven or make other arrangements for your meals.
SMOKING – For your health and safety, as well as keeping the equipment in good working order, smoking should not be permitted in the same room where oxygen is in use or stored. You will be provided with “NO SMOKING” signs that should be placed at the main entrance of the residence as well as the room where oxygen is primarily used and stored. Even if there is no smoking in your residence, the placement of the signs will alert emergency responders of the presence of oxygen equipment in the home.
PETROLEUM PRODUCTS – Never use grease, oil or other petroleum products on or near any oxygen equipment, including tubing and cannulas. Flammable materials such as oil, grease, aerosols, paint, gasoline and solvents could ignite and burn when introduced to oxygen. Never use wax or furniture polish on or near any oxygen equipment. Under certain conditions, it is possible for oil based toiletries with a spark from an electrical appliance, such as a hair dryer, electric razor or heating pad, to ignite when combined with concentrated oxygen. Simply using oil based hair products, hand lotions or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) when handling oxygen equipment can place you at risk. Use only water based cosmetics or creams.
CONCENTRATOR PLACEMENT – A concentrator needs to “breathe” to operate properly. It must be kept at least 6 to 12 inches away from drapes, bedspreads, and walls, and there should never be items stacked or stored on top of the device. Thick carpets and padding may cause the concentrator to run poorly or at a higher temperature which could lead to malfunction. Concentrators can be noisy if they are placed on tile or wood floors. A small rug placed under the device can help dampen the noise and vibration; otherwise, you may want to place it in another room.
ELECTRICAL – Concentrators should not be plugged into an extension cord, multi-outlet adapter, power strip, or into an outlet or circuit that has other major appliances plugged into it. Doing so can create a fire hazard, result in blown fuses or circuit breakers, or create possible damage to the device.
HOME ADDRESS – Make sure that your home address can be easily seen from the street both day and night. Please ensure that the numbers are easy to spot and read from the street. This will aid not only Wright & Filippis delivery personnel, but also local emergency services in locating your residence easily.
Operating the Concentrator
Cleaning and Maintenance
Care of Oxygen Tubing
Care of Humidifier Bottle