Wright & Filippis - Rehabilitative Health Care
Liquid Oxygen Safety Precautions
Liquid Safety PrecautionsDo not touch liquid oxygen or parts of the equipment that have been in contact with liquid oxygen. Liquid oxygen is extremely cold (-297 degrees F). If you touch liquid oxygen, or a component that has recently been in contact with liquid oxygen, you can freeze skin tissue which could result in blistering and deep-tissue damage.

Oxygen is very safe to use when you create the proper environment. Oxygen will not explode or burn, but it will increase the flammability of objects it comes into contact with. Many things not able to burn in normal room air will easily burn in an oxygen-enriched environment. It will also cause anything that is burning to burn hotter and faster. Be sure to have a functioning smoke detector and fire extinguisher in your home and remember to change the batteries regularly. A good method to remember is to change your smoke detector batteries every spring and fall with the time change.

Liquid Safety PrecautionsBy following these simple rules of safety, you will create a safe environment for using your oxygen:
HEAT – Keep all oxygen equipment, including tubing and cannulas, at least 10 feet away from any source of heat. Common heat sources to be concerned with are any open flames, stoves, ovens, space heaters, furnaces, radiators, wood burning stoves, barbecues, candles, incense, large windows exposed to direct sunlight, smoking pipes, cigars and cigarettes.


COOKING SAFEGUARDS – Do not cook with a gas or electric stove while using oxygen. It is best to use a microwave oven or make other arrangements for your meals.

Liquid Safety PrecautionsSMOKING – For your health and safety, as well as keeping the equipment in good working order, smoking should not be permitted in the same room where oxygen is in use or stored. You will be provided with “NO SMOKING” signs that should be placed at the main entrance of the residence as well as the room where oxygen is primarily used and stored. Even if there is no smoking in your residence, the placement of the signs will alert emergency responders to the presence of oxygen equipment in the home.


PETROLEUM PRODUCTS – Never use grease, oil or any other petroleum products on or near any oxygen equipment, including tubing and cannulas. Flammable materials such as oil, grease, aerosols, paint, gasoline and solvents could ignite and burn when introduced to high concentrations of oxygen. Never use wax or polish on or near any oxygen equipment. Under certain conditions, it is possible for oil based toiletries with a spark from an electrical appliance, such as a hair dryer, electric razor or heating pad, to ignite when combined with concentrated oxygen. Simply using oil based hair products, hand lotions or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) when handling oxygen equipment can place you at risk. Use only water based cosmetics and creams.

Liquid System
Operating the Liquid System
Portable Liquid Units
Cleaning and Maintenance
Care of Oxygen Tubing
Care of Humidifier Bottle
Safety Precautions
Troubleshooting Guide

 




Visit our Online Store www.HomeMedicalPlus.com for the Latest Specials!


Need help finding something?



Still need help? Call (800) 482-0222


Shop Online Now!




  Entire Contents Copyright © 2014 • Wright & Filippis • Terms and Conditions • Privacy Policy • Disclaimer